KIEV. Undiscovered European capital. By Mariia Bondarenko
BY Mariia Bondarenko
Erasmus Plus Student at the School of Journalism & Mass Media Studies, Faculty of Economic and Political Sciences, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Winter semester 2016-17
The article was written and published in terms of the course “Writing Personal Columns in Newspapers, Magazines & Blogs”, Erasmus Plus Programme of Aristotle University Thessaloniki.
«Your tongue will lead you to Kiev» - that`s what you frequently could hear in Ukraine. You should just ask someone and you obvious get this place. All roads lead not only to Rome but to Kiev as well – one of the oldest and worth-visited European cities and the least discovered at the same time.
This city is the capital, the biggest one in the country and definitely the first city to visit in Ukraine. Firstly, here you can explore all kind of Ukrainian traditions. Second reason is its marvelous landscapes and sightseeings. Located on the heels and split by the Dnipro River, it gives a stunning view of the city. At the same time so huge amount of places to visit doesn’t give you a chance just to sit and enjoy the views.
- Kiev is called a city oh the churches and considered as an orthodox mecca. Even if you aren`t a religion person these buildings are so nice and have an architectural and historical value. Saint Sophia's Cathedral and Kiev Pechersk Lavra - the main Orthodox shrines of the country - are worth to visit indeed.
- Explore Andrew's descent with unique handmade products fair during the day. Then return in the evening, when daily buzz calm down and only lights reflect from the roadway slopes.
- Ride the funicular connecting the Podil district and Vladimir Hill. This type of transport goes up to the hill and then return down. And in Europe, it is quite rare.
- Climb the viewing platform of the Motherland monument. There are two pieces at a height of 37 and 91 meters. One of the most convenient places to observe the city.
- Stay at the Maidan of Independence – the main square of the city where the latest revolutions took place. Don’t forget to pay attention to Khreshchatik - the main street - and try not to get lost among the countless shops. Feel the pulse of trade Kyiv, shopping is really cheap here. During it enjoy plenty of musicians that play on the streets every evening.
- Take the 12th tram that goes throw the forest to Pushcha Voditsa - huge park with the lakes - and just enjoy the road. Could you imagine the tram among the trees?
- Finally discover the gastronomical side of the city and the local cuisine. Kiev is the place with really high-quality service and low prices in this business. Moreover, it’s not about just having a meal. The most places have their own concept and atmosphere. Have the best take-away coffee with all kinds of tastes in the ‘Coffee Nostra’. And for sure try the national dishes such as borshch, vareniki and special for the city dish - Chicken Kiev - in the ‘Pervak’ and ‘Puzata Khata’ restaurants.
These are only a few things you can experience in Kiev. A lot more await for you. Just lead your tongue and discover!